The La Rochelle Aquarium is located by the Large Yacht Marina : this is where the whole family can discover, or rediscover, a 2 hour journey across the seas and oceans of the world.
The La Rochelle Aquarium is a huge glass vessel housing more than 12 000 marine animals in 3 million litres of seawater! In the centre of the city, opposite the Old Port, this is one of the largest private aquariums in Europe.
This Centre for the Study and Preservation of Marine Species invites each visitor to experience the wonders of marine biodiversity: 12 000 sea creatures from fragile jellyfish to mesmerising sharks… this is your chance to marvel, but also to learn about and understand the sea.
• A child-friendly audio-guide: to take the kids on a real adventure across the Oceans!
• Special exhibits featuring marine turtles and sharks
• The colourful intertidal zone exhibit: where you can learn while having fun !
• Two new free exhibits in the entrance hall throughout the year
• The Aquarium shop, ‘Mémoires d'océans’, offering a range of unusual and original souvenir items.
• The ‘Café de l'Aquarium’ restaurant on the 2nd floor. In a tropical setting and atmosphere, the restaurant offers customers a menu specializing in organic, seasonal cuisine.
To marvel, to learn, and to understand the sea…
- A journey of more than 2 hours to explore the ocean’s depths
- 12 000 marine animals from the Atlantic Ocean, the Mediterranean Sea and the Tropical Seas
- 78 large volume glass tanks giving you a wide open view of the ocean
- The large shark tank: 1.5 million litres of seawater.
- A 360° underwater tunnel: so that you can walk under the water surrounded by a thousand jellyfish
- A programme of exhibitions, film screenings and guest lectures.
Individual rates 2015:
Audio guided tour: Immerse yourself with surprising anecdotes in the oceans of the world.
Aquarium La Rochelle
Gallery of Lights
Dive into a new world, for a magical journey to the great depths. Here, in the darkness, marine species light up and reveal their vibrant colours. From the surface to the mysterious abyss, let yourself be carried away by a magical experience and discover the secrets of light.
Hold your breath, keep your senses sharp, immersion in the Gallery of Lights will amaze you.
To keep up with all the latest news at the La Rochelle Aquarium :